Books Recommended by Bill & Kristi Gaultiere
Sometimes a book opens our heart to heaven. Other times it offers us new, God-inspired paradigms for life and ministry with Jesus. Here are some books that we hope will do both for you!
These books are part of Soul Shepherding’s TLC program in “Spiritual Formation and Soul Care Ministry.” TLC stands for “To Love Christ” because that is our purpose in life and it is our power to love others. We launched TLC in 2013 to nourish and train pastors and ministry leaders/shepherds (e.g., counselors and spiritual directors) for living and ministering as apprentices of Jesus. TLC is a two-year process of attending retreats in community, study, practicing spiritual disciplines, and being personally cared for and mentored by Bill and Kristi. (To learn more visit “TLC Retreats for Pastors and Leaders.”)
To earn a TLC certificate from Soul Shepherding, Inc. one of the requirements is to read ten books, including at least one from each of our TLC retreat topics below and at least four from our separate list of the Classics of Devotion to Christ which are found in “Reading Classic Devotional Books.” Participants write short Reflection Papers on each book and submit these to their mentor, Bill for the men and Kristi for the women. (See our sample TLC Reading Log, “Aelred of Rievaulx: Spiritual Friendship.”)
Spiritual Formation (TLC 1)
- Lord, Make my Life a Miracle by Ray Ortlund, Sr., © 1974, 154 pages. (See also the Tag, “Ray Ortlund, Sr.” for articles by Bill Gaultiere)
- The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, © 1978, 184 pages.
- The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen, © 1981, 96 pages.
- The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard, © 1988, 276 pages.
- The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God by Dallas Willard, © 1997, 426 pages. (Or you can read The Divine Conspiracy Study Guide. 125 pages.)
- Streams of Living Water: Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith by Richard Foster, © 1998, 424 pages.
- The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus’ Essential Teachings on Discipleship by Dallas Willard, © 2006, 237 pages. (See also “The Great Omission: Quotes Organized by Bill Gaultiere,” 13 pages.)
- You Can Live In Jesus’ Easy Yoke: With His Rhythms of Grace for Your Daily Stress, by Bill Gaultiere, © 2010, 265 pages.)
Spiritual and Psychological Development (TLC 2)
- Hind’s Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, © 1977, 254 pages.
- The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith by Janet O. Hagberg and Robert A. Guelich, © 1989, 162 pages.
- Changes that Heal: How to Understand Your Past to Ensure a Healthier Future by Henry Cloud, © 1990, 267 pages.
- The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming by Henri Nouwen, © 1992, 151 pages.
- Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation by Robert Mulholland, © 1993, 173 pages.
- The Inner Voice of Love: A Journey Through Anguish to Freedom by Henri Nouwen, © 1996, 118 pages. (Nouwen’s secret journal from his years of spiritual darkness.)
- Spiritual Autobiography: Discovering and Sharing Your Spiritual Story by Richard Peace, © 1998, 112 pages.
- Attachments: Why You Love, Feel and Act the Way You Do by Tim Clinton and Gary Sibcy, © 2002, 303 pages. (See also “Secure and Insecure Attachment Styles” by Bill Gaultiere, 7 pages.)
- How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage by Milan and Kay Yerkovich, © 2006, 401 pages.
- Mansions of the Heart: Exploring the Seven Stages of Spiritual Growth by R. Thomas Ashbrook, © 2009, 282 pages.
- Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge by Dallas Willard, © 2009, 241 pages. (See also “Knowing Christ Today: A Soul Shepherding Bible Study” by Bill Gaultiere, 8 pages.)
Soul Care Ministry (TLC 3)
- Creative Ministry by Henri Nouwen, © 1971, 125 pages.
- The Practice of Spiritual Direction by William A. Barry and William J. Connolly, © 1982, 211 pages.
- The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction by Eugene Peterson, © 1989, 171 pages.
- Spiritual Warfare For Every Christian: How to Live in Victory and Retake the Land by Dean Sherman (YWAM), © 1990, 210.
- Hiding From Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You by John Townsend, © 1991, 288 pages.
- Restoring the Christian Soul: Overcoming the Three Great Barriers to Personal and Spiritual Completion in Christ by Leanne Payne, © 1991, 249 pages.
- Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking and Giving Direction by Keith R. Anderson and Randy D. Reese, © 1999, 191 pages.
- Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ by Dallas Willard, © 2002, 269 pages.
- Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction by David Benner, © 2002, 240 pages.
- Experiencing Healing Prayer: How God Turns Our Hurts Into Wholeness by Rick Richardson, © 2005, 248 pages.
- Anatomy of the Soul by Curt Thompson, © 2010, 210 pages.
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero, © 2011, 240 pages.
- I Quit! Stop Pretending Everything is Fine and Change Your Life By Geri and Peter Scazzero, © 2010, 215 pages.
Spiritual Leadership (TLC 4)
- Spiritual Leadership: Principles of Excellence For Every Believer by J. Oswald Sanders, © 1967, 208 pages. (See also “Spiritual Leadership (Bible Study)” by Bill Gaultiere, 13 pages.)
- Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God by Dallas Willard, © 1984, 228 pages. (See also “Bible Study and Quotes on Hearing God by Dallas Willard” by Bill Gaultiere, 17 pages.)
- Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity by Eugene Peterson, © 1987, 192 pages.
- In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri Nouwen, © 1989, 81 pages.
- Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness by Eugene Peterson, © 1992, 197 pages.
- Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry by Ruth Haley Barton, © 2008, 228 pages.
- Pursuing God’s Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups by Ruth Haley Barton, © 2012, 253 pages.
- The Allure of Gentleness: Defending the Faith in the Manner of Jesus by Dallas Willard, © 2015, 191 pages.